'fade' drawing

Alongside the 'washed' and 'erased' drawings I've also been toying with a 'faded' series. Earlier this year I spent quite a while testing pencil on assorted fine art papers. I wanted to do some combined traditional and digital drawings but needed a surface which would be suitable for both. The starting point was fine art papers as this is what I've been using for my stand alone digital drawings (archival and fade proof ink/ fine art paper = longevity) They were absolutely useless - I think because the coating resisted the pencil marks. I had printed some of the smaller 'connect' drawings on my standard printer, UV varnished areas and then positioned in the window to check light fastness - even with this years distinct lack of sunlight they faded very quickly. Light bulb moment! - print on standard paper and then draw on top, the printed parts will (hopefully) fade - an ideal starting point for the 'faded' series. I've already done a few small drawings like this but really wanted to work on a larger scale to fit in with the other large drawings. I went to a local printers with my 2B pencil to test the uncoated paper they used (worked great) and this morning picked up a test print. I used a digital drawing already in progress because I have no patience and need to try it NOW but I may give a bit more consideration to future drawings. As usual  printed 1:1 with no proof (and very weird to see a digital drawing printed before it's finished). Going to use ballpoint pen (as this also fades over time) as well as pencil (which doesn't) and then see what happens....

No comments:

Post a Comment